Friday, July 6, 2007

I should be sleeping

I'm not sure why I'm not in bed. Perhaps it's because I feel like there is so much to do, and every time I close my eyes, I mentally run through a list of things I have to do rightthisminute or else the world is going to implode on itself.

I think I've figured out HOW to do most everything (visa application, finding housing, figuring out how to get place to place), but now it's time to start implementing these tactics, and I don't know where to start. Thanks to some newfound internet friends (I've never been one to talk to people I've never met, and now I have two people I correspond with every couple of days who are/have been in Ecuador), I have figured out exactly, step-by-step, how to obtain an intercultural visa, what I need to pack, what I can leave at home, where the best places to eat are, and some fun hostels I should check out whilst looking for more permanent accommodation. I've made doctor's appointments (apparently mine doesn't do physicals during the summer, which means I have to find one who does, and is willing to sign off on my trip, despite my kidney stuff), booked vaccination appointments, bought travel guidebooks (got the Lonely Planet Ecuador for only $4 from Russel's! And it's the previous version to the one that just came out!)...I still need to go get my criminal record check, which I'm procrastinating doing (not because I'm a dangerous criminal, but because I'm lazy and have a zit on my chin and what if there's a hot policeman? Gotta look my best!), and figure out how the heck I'm going to find the time to get over to the Ecuadorian Consulate in Richmond while I'm taking two summer classes this month everyday and one next month.

I know it seems like I should have a lot of time to do all this, after all, I'm not leaving for another 2.5 months, but everything takes so much TIME, and I'm in classes everyday, and when I'm not in classes, I'm trying to study and read and see people and be social...I don't anticipate having a spare moment until the end of August, and by then it'll be almost time for me to leave! And meanwhile I have to pack up my Victoria life, say goodbye to my friends, figure out what I need to bring for 6-8 months in a developing country, find a place to store my crap (U-Pak, I'm thinking) and tell my awesome landlord that I'm moving out of this super awesome apartment...Sigh. I'm gonna miss my cute little bachelor pad. And my nice soft bed with my pillows that have my drool on them (as opposed to some other random backpackers drool or bat/lizard shit).

I should sleep. Peace.

Always, Emily

2 comments:

Unknown said...

try taking calcium = it will help you sleep

Anonymous said...

We did U-Pak and it's working for us, pretty much the cheapest option I think. Sounds like you are one busy girl but hopefully you have time so we can see you when we get back!