Wednesday, October 17, 2007

XOXO


I can`t get used to all the kissing!! You would think that after a month in a new culture I would at least sort of get a handle on one of their main cultural greetings, but each time someone new kisses me, I can`t help but go beet red and awkward. It`s so embarrassing.

For example, if a student is the first one in the classroom, he/she will greet me with a kiss. However, if there is already a class full of students, no kisses. If I meet a student, or a group of students on the street, we will all kiss each other. If I am introduced to someone new, sometimes they lean in for a kiss, and sometimes they don`t. But when we leave, we will for sure kiss! It`s really hard to kiss someone I`ve only met a minute ago. Especially if it`s a guy. It`s even harder to control my embarrassment if it`s one of my 15 year old male students...cuz if my face goes red, they get embarrassed too. It`s a problem.

However, I am getting used to kissing people I already know, like my landlords and their children. Hopefully, I will get used to kissing complete strangers, but maybe by the time I figure that out, it will be time to go home, and I`ll be running around kissing randoms on the street in Canada! I`m pretty sure that`s frowned upon in Cranbrook...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, really loving your blogs and hearing your adventures in Equador - just don't try to kiss me when you come home!

The rainy season has hit Victoria. Its just after 6 pm, already dark and pouring rain (this is to make you feel better).

Miss you lots, Heather

Anonymous said...

The kissing would take some getting used to and learning the "technique". What if you did not turn your head, or accidentally turned towards the person and ended up kissing on the lips. Now that would be embarassing! Maybe you should introduce the North American equivalent of hugging in your classroom.
Take Care,
Carol