Monday, December 3, 2007

Chillax, it`s all good


I am finished classes for the semester!! Other than taking my 15 year old boys out for pizza at 4:30 this afternoon (they deserve it; they never once were able to push me over the edge into insanity!), and a two hour exam next Saturday, I`m done like dinner! It is a relief to be done. This semester is not what I expected, and I`ve been so stressed out about school and making friends that I`ve gotten myself into quite a tizzy on more than one occasion. December is my month for decompressing, and figuring out what I want and need to make this a more enjoyable experience.


The first thing we did to celebrate was go to a local hookah bar. I`ve never smoked hookah before (I`ve never smoked much of anything other than a puff or two of a cigar--eeeew!---and some clove cigarettes with Tam...). It took me awhile to get used to it, and everyone was making fun of my "gaggy-face" (for those of you who have ever spent a significant amount of time with me, you know which one I`m talking about!). As there were a few hookah virgins in the crowd, we got a combination of peach and mint flavour, and I have to say, the taste was very enjoyable. I would definitely try it again. And Mom, don`t worry, there was nothing but molasses tobacco in the hookah pipe. I felt like the Cheshire Cat!


Yesterday I went to Cajas National Park with my friend Ty. I`ve been dying to go since I got here, but circumstances had thus far prevented me from going. Cajas is about an hour away from Cuenca, and you can spend DAYS wandering around the mountain passes and visiting the hundreds of lakes. The views were absolutely incredible and I kept exclaiming "I can`t believe I`m in the ANDES!!" Every hundred feet or so, we were awarded with a new breathtaking vista, and I took a number of pictures (to view, go to http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=74172&l=49fcb&id=779435523). The day was perfect. It was a little chilly in the morning, but soon the sun came out, and a slight wind to cool us off. At the highest, we were about at 3000 meters, and the altitude definitely affected my ability to breathe. It was a gorgeous hike; we started on a trail called Tres Cruces (Three Crosses), or so we think, and ended about 5 hours later back on the highway. By the end we were more than ready to be done, and though we could see the highway, it was so far off. At one point, we were sludging through marshland, off the beaten track, so we could get closer to the road. It was quite a wet and mucky adventure! I was so tired afterwards, it was all I could do to eat dinner, and I was asleep by 8pm! I woke up with a bit of a sunburn this morning, mostly my neck and the right side of my face (I forget how easy it is to burn at high altitudes!), but surprisingly my legs aren`t stiff or anything. I can`t wait to go back (although next time I might do a less ambitious hike).


My Christmas plans are starting to sort themselves out. I leave next Saturday night for 11 days in the Galapagos, which I`m really looking forward to, despite the fact that it`s the start of tourist season, and therefore the islands will all increase their already expensive prices to make things outrageously expensive. I have to look at this as a chance of a lifetime, and not worry so much about money, but when I`m only getting paid $250 a month, it`s a little hard not to think about it. However, my generous parents have contributed to the trip as a Christmas present, and as I`m going with other poor teachers, I`m sure we will be as spendthrift as possible. I`m looking forward to seeing all the endemic animals, the Galapagos turtles, the walruses and all the amazing underwater culture. I can`t wait to snorkle and relax on the beach, to hike around and visit some of the other islands. It should be a blast. I will be back in Cuenca by Christmas, and apparently Cuenca is the place to be on Christmas Eve. After Christmas, I`m planning on heading down to Vilcabamba, otherwise known as "The Valley of Longevity," where some of the inhabitants claim their relaxed lifestyle has made them forever young. I`m planning on taking a horse trek through the Andes, and maybe a massage or two for good measure. Hopefully, someone or another will join me, although I`m not adversed to spending a little R&R by myself (deep down I am a hermit, although I hide it well!).


Always,


Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous - I wish I could change my Christmas plans and join you. We are knee deep in snow and ice - I couldn't even get to work this morning because I got stuck on Vidamour road (my car ended up sitting sideways on the road and wasn't moving for nothin')

Mom