Monday, January 19, 2009

New Adventure


Well, it's been months since I have even thought about this blog, but today I decided to take it out and dust it off in time for my newest adventure. This trip is the result of a little spontaneity, a lot of stress, and a few birthdays on the horizon. Initially, I was planning to head to Korea, to teach English for a year. However, it just didn't feel right (at least, not right now), and after a lot of soul searching and some sleepless nights, I figured out what a lot of my loved ones had realized ages ago...I wasn't going to go to Korea. Then, my boyfriend asked me what I thought about traveling in Mexico for a few months, and an alternative adventure was born!

This journey is more of a tourist trip, with more lazing on the beach and R&R than I'm used to. I'm revisiting a much loved part of my past, Central America! Tickets are bought and paid for, and this time, I will get a chance to travel in Mexico (which TECHNICALLY isn't part of CA, but should be, for heavens sake!). I will also get a chance to see mi Familia Guatemalteco in Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala, which I am immensely excited about.

We arrive in Cancun on February 16th, and as far as I know, we don't have any particular plan of what to do after that. I do know we plan to be back in Mexico by March 20th, for the Spring Equinox. In between, who knows!? It's Chris' birthday on the 22nd, and mine on the 23rd (don't forget!!), so I'm hoping we get to someplace warm and tropical with yummy drinks by then.

I'm not really a "foodie," but I'm looking forward to eating Mexican everyday. Maybe it's because the few places I've already traveled have...lacked...a little in the culinary department. Maybe it's because I love tacos and tamales and enchiladas and quesadillas. But everytime I think about going, I also think about eating. And then my mouth waters.

This is the least thought out trip I've ever been on, which is both fun and scary! I know I'm a stressful traveler (love to travel, but it sometimes scares the crap outta me!), but it's a lot easier to let things slide when you've got someone with you. I have realized that when things go wrong and you're alone, your first instinct is to sit down and have a little cry, or maybe a temper tantrum. But when there's someone else to share in your distress, you can't help but laugh about it. Like they say, misery loves company! And I guess it's nice to have company for the good times, too...Especially company as enjoyable as Chris'!

No comments: