Sunday, September 23, 2007

I have arrived!

Hola friends,

I have made it safe and sound to Ecuador. It has been a bit overwhelming at times, but I am glad that I am finally here.

My plane arrived into Quito, Ecuador, two hours late, due to computer problems in Houston, Texas. So, instead of arriving at 11:30pm, I arrived at 1:30pm. It was a gong show, and the people at customs were less than friendly. However, everthing worked out in the end, there were no problems with my visa or anything, and I had a ride to the hotel waiting for me with a sign (I´ve always envied people who´ve merited signs. It´s like they are extra important!).

As we were flying over the Panama Canal, I looked out the window at the stars. Suddenly, I was looking straight at Orion, which is my very favorite constellation, and it was so close, I could´ve reached out and plucked the stars from his belt, one two three! I couldn´t believe how beautiful he looked, and how close I was. As I was pondering our relationship (yes, Orion and I are involved!), I saw a shooting star.

I am now staying in Mariscal Sucre, a trendy part of New Town that is filled with gringos and hostels and discos and coffeeshops. It is very noisy all hours of the day/night, but apparently THE place to be if you are new in town. I´ve realized how much my spanish has disintigrated since I was in Guatemala, and am quite frustrated about it. I know it will improve with time, but for now it is a sore spot with me. I can hardly wait for my spanish lessons to start.

Some things I had forgotten about Latin American culture: Men stare and hiss at you constantly. You can´t throw your toilet paper in the toilet. If you are sitting on a park bench, people think it´s an open invitation to come over and harrass you.

Anyways, I will probably write again in a few days...once something worth writing actually happens!

Always,

Emily

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!! So sorry to have missed your farewell party!! :( Even more sorry that you didn't get a motorbike ride!! :)
On the other hand - I am so happy to hear that youu are safe and sound in Ecuador. Looking forward to popping in to hear of all the fun adventures!!
One more thing - you better come back to Victoria!!! :)

Unknown said...

Hi honey, Hope you are feeling better today. I like that picture in the blog. Did you take it?

Emmy said...

I didn´t take that picture, but that´s where I was yesterday...I can´t figure out how to upload pictures yet, so at the moment I´m just going to find copies on the internet. I´m still not feeling well, but I think maybe tomorrow I will be better.

Anonymous said...

I finally read your blog! Don't think in any way that relates to how much I miss you. I have been thinking of you constantly. I can't believe your gone!
I feel for you though... the hissing men and the slightly invasive company on the bench... not things I miss.
I hope you find more positive things about the culture than those few negative ones. Funny how we only remember the good when we are planning a return trip. Megan and Frank are planning to go to Central America and I don't think I mentioned those cultural tendencies. Hmmm... maybe I should warn them.
Have fun!
Did I mention I miss you?