Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Homeward Bound


Today is my last day in Ecuador. It is a bittersweet goodbye, because I am really looking forward to seeing all my friends back home, but I am sad to leave this country I have grown to love. It`s been a long journey towards loving Ecuador, which I think makes it harder to leave. I`ve just gotten the hang of things!

I spent yesterday in Otavalo, an indiginous market town in the north of Ecuador, buying last minute gifts and souvenirs. The market is the cheapest I`ve come across in my travels through Latin America, and I went on a good day, because it wasn`t very busy. On market days, the place spreads out four blocks in every direction, but on other days, there is a smaller market in the center of town. It was pretty great to make it up to Otavalo, since I wasn`t planning on going, despite everyone`s insistance that it was not to be missed.

It was a long trip back from Peru, where I left my parents to return to Ecuador for my last days. My first flight was canceled, and the second flight was delayed for hours, so I didn`t arrive in Quito until nearly 11pm, after leaving my hotel in the morning at 6:30am. That`s how long my flight to Vancouver is going to take!!

Machu Picchu was absolutely amazing. We got up early so that we could see the sun rise over the ruins, and had a very stunning view of the Lost City of the Incas until the clouds drifted in and covered it in a mystical mist. As we climbed the thousands of stairs (literally) up and down and around the ruins, we couldn`t help but think about the people who lived there long ago. Apparently the word "Inca" means "King" and the everyday people who the Incans ruled were called Kichwa (sometimes written "Quechua"). The Kichwa people still live in the Andes, from Columbia to Chile, and are famous for their knowledge of flora and fauna, their weaving and their pottery. The largest population of the Kichwa still live in Peru, and are very proud of their heritage. It makes me think about the indiginous Canadians, who have lost huge portions of their culture because of colonialism. A lot of parts of Latin America are similar, but Peru is unique in how much they have preserved of their culture.

Anyhow, here I am, heading home tomorrow morning. I`m not sure how I feel about it, although I am excited to be embarking on a new adventure.

No comments: