Monday, April 21, 2008

If I could do it all again...


Coming into the Valley of Longevity, is like entering into a painting. The mountains are as green and picturesque as any imagination could conjure up, and the quaint little town of Vilcabamba, tucked in amoung the giant rolling hills, looks as if it were plucked out of a storybook. I love it here. I have been looking forward to returning since I first visited the south of Ecuador at Christmastime. It was one of the first things on my list of places to go when my parents decided to come and visit me, and I`m glad it will be one of the last in my memory before I head back home.

The weather has been pretty much perfect since my parents arrived in Ecuador, ten days ago. After complaining about months and months of rain, the beautiful sunshininess has been embraced by me, and by my parents, who left a blizzard behind in Canada. Our first adventure was to the Galapagos, another second for me. I realize that most people don´t even get to go to the Galapagos once, and here I am, going a second time!! I do know how lucky I am, and I enjoyed it almost as much the second time. There was so much I wanted to share with my parents, and I think that both my parents were as delighted with the turtles and sea lions as I was. We snorkled, hiked, and sailed, and saw many of the animals I witnessed the first time around.

From the Galapagos, we headed to Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador, and one of the most important ports in South America. There we walked along the Malecon 2000, a newly renovated boardwalk, with seaside eateries and colourful buildings. After hearing so much negativity about the dangers of Guayaquil, and having seen firsthand the poverty and pollution from the bus windows, I was pleasantly surprised to see another, unexpected side. We head back to Guayaquil tonight, our last stop before heading down into Peru.

However, that now brings us to the Sacred Valley of Vilcabamba, where many of the inhabitants are over 100 years old, and the energy is so relaxing and friendly, I`m sort of sad to leave. Yesterday, the parents and I went on a three and a half hour horse trek through the mountains, and it was amazing. I`m very proud of my parents for submitting themselves to it, though I know it couldn´t have been the most comfortable way to see the beauty of the Andes. I do think they both enjoyed themselves, and it is the best way to see the mountains in a short time.

I`m very excited about our next adventure, into Peru and to the ruins of Maccu Picchu, pretty much the only part of the trip so far that I haven`t previously done. And then, in less than two weeks, I`m heading back to Canadian soil. I`m not quite sure how I feel about that, but I`m looking at it as another opportunity to grow and figure out what the heck I`m doing on this great Earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are INDEED a lucky girl, not only to see the Galaps again but to have your 'rents come visit. Super cool.

Anonymous said...

Hi again!

The bit about all the centenarians in Vilcabamba is a thing of the past. According to the local priest, there's no one in Vilca proper over 99, and in "greater" Vilcabamba, there are a couple of centenarians. The diet and way of life have changed, and, sadly, so has the water; with more people, there's less purity. The local people, too, would have brought that about, but the advent (ramifications) of tourism and foreign residents has hastened that.

¡Que lastima!

Bill